Saturday, November 07, 2015

Motel Hell (1980)






Motel Hell (1980)

Directed by Kevin Conner

Starring Rory Calhoun, Paul Linke, Nancy Parsons and Nina Axelrod

It takes all kinds of critters to make Farmer Vincent's fritters.







I remember seeing the VHS box (pictured) for Motel Hell when roaming the horror aisle at the local video store when I was younger, but never watched it.  I guess that particular box was never appealing to my young eyes, and I wasn't one who read the synopsis on the back to help me make a decision,

I'm glad I finally took a shot on it (thanks to Scream Factory releasing it on Blu-Ray), as it is a better film than my young brain decided it was.  But then again, my taste in horror has grown since the days of wanting a basic slasher film, and I'm not sure I would've picked up on the black humor and satire the film has.

Farmer Vincent (Calhoun) runs a motel with his sister Ida (Parsons), and also makes smoked meats on the side.  The meat is world-famous, but is only sold within 100 mile radius of the farm, to keep costs down.  But Farmer Vincent has a secret: he has a garden of people that he uses as his secret ingredient for his smoked meats.  Vincent and Ida's younger brother is Sheriff Bruce (Linke), who is naive to what is going on,

The cast is what makes the film so great, especially Calhoun who carries the film as Farmer Vincent.  Parsons, Linke, and Axelrod (as Terry, a young female that Vincent falls for) all do well in their parts too.  There are a few minor roles too, including a pre-Cheers John Ratzenberger and Wolfman Jack.

If anything, the film is worth seeing for the finale: a lot of things come to head, and it includes a final fight with dueling chainsaws.  Also, the image of Farmer Vincent wearing a hog's head while wielding a chainsaw is iconic.

Overall, a very enjoyable flick, and Scream Factory did a wonderful job with their release of it, including interviews and a making of feature that makes me appreciate the film a little bit more.  4/5

No comments: