Thursday, May 28, 2015

Memorial Day Weekend finds, part 2 (Book Edition)

As I wrote in part one (which can be found here), my parents were in town for the holiday weekend, which ultimately means some amount of time will be spent in thrift stores.

Now, just to let you all know, I live in an area where thrift stores are prominent. On both sides of the water.  From where I am sitting as I type this up, within a 5-7 mile radius are 7 stores that I am aware of.  I literally live across the street from a Boys & Girls club thrift, where I can fill up a bag of books for $1.  Goodwill, DAV, Salvation Army,Village Thrift, Family Thrift. All have at least one location on each side of the water.

Hence, each trip out is a different experience.  I don't go to the other side of the water as much, so those can be a real treasure trove of finds.

With all that said, let's take a look at what books I ended up adding to my ever growing collection this weekend.


First up, the James Patterson additions.  Patterson is an author Elizabeth and I both read, so these are always good finds. Unlucky 13 and Hope to Die are both from last year, and are from two of his ongoing series.  This makes us up to date on the Alex Cross series of books, and just missing the 2015 book from Women's Murder Club (which I will probably be finding this time next year).  The Murder of King Tut is a non-fiction title from a few years back, and one I haven't seen in hardcover a lot, so snagged that as well.


 The small assortment of thriller novels that I found.  Red Dragon is the one book that I had heard of, and even though I'm pretty sure I have it, it was hard to pass up the cover.  Plus, I've been meaning to dig my copy out, as I've been wanting to read it again due to Hannibal.  The other two books just had interesting premises. I think Steel Ghosts is more horror than thriller, and that is fine by me.  Reaper is also signed by the author, so that's a cool bonus.



The random pile.  Let's just break this down by book, shall we.

  1.  University - I'm a big fan of Bentley Little.  I find his horror easy and fun to read, and this was one I don't have yet.
  2. Warriner's Handbook of English - Grabbed this as I was at a "fill a bag for a $1" store, and thought it looked cool.  Being an English major myself, thought it would be cool to have.  It is from 1951.
  3. Wanted to Rent - Young Adult horror books are a weakness, so this was an easy pick-up.  Seems to be book #3 from a series I do not recall, Scream.
  4. Owl Puke - This one speaks for itself,
  5. Badass: The Birth of a Legend - I remember this series of books from when I worked at Borders.  It was quiet popular.  With chapters dedicated to Harry Callahan, B.A. Baracus, Skeletor, and Godzilla, it was a no-brainer for me to pick it up.
  6. Too Good to be True: The Colossal Book of Urban Legends - This is my favorite of the book finds on this trip.  Found amongst a shelf of textbooks, this is almost 500 pages of urban legends. You name it, it is probably within the pages.



A solid assortment of The Far Side books.  Elizabeth and I are both big fans, but oddly enough this is one series of comic strips we don't own many volumes of.


Non-fiction assortment.  Killers is a collection of true crime, chronicling infamous killers of the past 50+ years, starting with Starkweather homicides up to Columbine.  The Truth Is Out There is an official guide to The X-Files (or at least the first three seasons, anyways.) I surprisingly don't already own this, and with the news of its return to TV in 2016, thought it would be a nice addition.  Law & Order: Crime Scenes is just a collection of photographs from popular episodes of the show, with commentary from Dick Wolf laced throughout.  Elizabeth is a fan of L&O, so this was a good find for her,


The free pile.  Yes, I said free.  See, the local Village Thrift has a shopping cart of books out front that are free, with no limit.  I don't know if it's because the books haven't sold, or what.  And normally I don't find this much in the cart.  But this trip yielded all of the above, plus one more.  I grabbed 3 of the original Executioner titles, and even if I do have them, they are in great condition and probably better than what I currently own.  The other 5 books are just random and seemed interesting, and it's kind of hard to pass up free.


Lastly, the media tie-in books.  Buckaroo Banzai was out of the free cart, as the red X on the cover detonates.  The non-fiction book that The French Connection was based off of (with movie tie-in cover art (a bit spoilery at that)), and a Dirty Harry novelization of The Enforcer, which was a pretty cool find for me.  Also grabbed a hardcover of The Legacy, which I hadn't heard of but know Scream Factory is releasing onto blu-ray this summer, and will add to my collection.

As I write this, I just realized Heat from the free pile should've been with this picture, as it's a novelization of the '86 Burt Reynolds film.  William Goldman as an author should've tipped me off.


That winds up this trip.  There is a grand re-opening of a DAV coming up in June, and I'm hoping to make a trip to the other side of the water soon as well, so there will probably be another post sooner than later.

No comments: