Thursday, February 09, 2012

02-09-2012

I guess watching the Terminator franchise has put me into a sci-fi mood, as my movie watching this week progressed into the genre.

I watched Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines a few nights back, and I still enjoy it.  It's a little corny at times, but it has a really great car chase scene in it involving a lot of destruction, and then I like that we get to see SkyNet begin its takeover.  I remember seeing T3 in theaters the summer it came out and being shocked that Judgment Day arrives at the end of the movie.

Still haven't watched Terminator: Salvation, but that's because I'm going to watch it with Dave so I have to work it into the schedule.

Last weekend I borrowed Billy's Blu-Ray of Blade Runner, just to see what kind of stuff was on it and to see if it was worth upgrading eventually.  And it totally is.

I watched the final cut of Blade Runner Monday night, and it looks amazing on Blu-Ray.  I seriously couldn't believe I was watching a 30-year-old movie.  I couldn't tell much between Ridley Scott's final and director's cut, but it has been quite a while since I have last seen the DC.  I think the more I watch this movie, the more I like it.  I don't know if my mood changes, or I just see a bit more with each viewing.  But there are a few movies that I've been impartial to at first, and then the next time I really like them.

So, as good as Blade Runner is, the BR has a special treat that is right up the alley I've been looking for recently, with making of documentaries.  Not only does it have a disc filled with informative bits about the characters, Philip K. Dick, and other things, disc 2 is a 3-1/2 hour documentary about the making of the film.  Dangerous Days: Making Blade Runner is so much, I've yet to finish watching it!  I'm about a little over half way through, and watching it has made me appreciate the actual film that much more.  The turmoil behind the scenes and on-set makes me wonder how this film ever got finished and released in the first place.

Last Saturday, we threw a surprise party for Brandi's 40th.  A group of us (Brandi, Gina, Brian, Amanda, Jamie, Billy, Jeff, Sheila, Dave, Elizabeth, and myself) all went to dinner at County Grill, and afterwards we went ice skating at IcePlex, where we were joined by Rocky, Rachel, Katie, & Angel and his family.  I had never been ice skating before, and it's been over probably 15 years since I had skated.  But, I decided I would at least give it a try.  And I'm glad I did, as it was a lot of fun!  I never fell down, and I actually was able to get away from the wall and skate.

Sunday night, after the new discipleship classes and fellowship was over, Elizabeth and I went over to Gammy's house to watch the Super Bowl with Lindsey, Brian, Bud, Kathy, and of course Gammy.  We also played Farkel, and I ended the night as reigning champ so we'll have to go back and play sometime soon.

The game was good, and very tense during the final 2 minutes.  I didn't see many of the commercials, but I did watch the movie ones online, and I seriously cannot wait until G.I. Joe: Retaliation comes out.

No comments: