Thursday, October 02, 2014

2) House (1986)

House (1986)

Directed by Steve Miner

Starring William Katt, George Wendt, and Richard Moll

Roger Cobb's marriage fell apart after the disappearance of his child.  A former Vietnam vet and now horror novelist, Cobb (Katt) decides to move into his recently deceased aunt's house for some solitude.  The house also happens to be where his son disappeared from.  Working on a new book detailing his time in 'Nam, Cobb starts seeing things (including his dead aunt) in the house.  With the aid of his new neighbor (and biggest fan) Harold (Wendt), Roger begins to investigate the presence of something sinister within his new home.  The evil makes him face his past, leading to conflict with a ghost he last saw in the jungle.

First things first: I am surprised I have never seen this film before today.  Besides the cast (The Greatest American Hero, Norm from Cheers, and Bull from Night Court) and Steve Miner in the directing chair, it also has Sean Cunningham as a producer and a story from the mind of Fred Dekker.  With those credentials, this is a movie that should totally be in my wheelhouse.

With that said, this movie is a great combination of horror and comedy.  The make-up and creature work are great throughout the film and I really like the monster woman who shows up about midway through.  Big Ben in the finale is very well done as well.  Plot-wise, I'm not 100% sure if they knew what they were wanting, as sometimes it does get a bit cheesy.  There is this weird and out of place plot device where Roger babysits a kid, which has some cool effects in, but didn't really do anything to move the plot forward.

I do remember seeing the VHS box at the rental store when I was younger, and finding it to be creepy.  I may of even seen it back in the day, as the lady monster seemed a bit familiar to me.  Might not be an award-winning film, but I really enjoyed it.

8/10

While looking for the movie poster, I also came across the following Thai poster for it.  Totally worth sharing, as it includes some artist renditions of the monsters from the film.

No comments: