Saturday, October 25, 2014

Tidewater Comicon 2014

Last weekend, Elizabeth, Dave & I visited the local comicon down in Virginia Beach.  It was Dave & Is third con this year, and Elizabeth's first.

It was easily my second best con, especially for it being in its first year.  Both of us thought it was better than the Richmond Wizard World we attended back in August.  (We also attended what was my first con back in March, going out to Seattle, Washington to attend Emerald City Comic-Con.  We attended all 3 days for that one.)

I was able to get a couple of comics signed.  The Monsters variant of Justice League United that Kelley Jones did, and a random issue of Masters of the Universe that Pop Mahn was the artist on.

For being such a small con, I was impressed with the amount of artists and talent that was there.  I was able to come away with a lot of cool art (both original and prints), which I will share now.  (I apologize for the glare on some of these.)

First up are two prints Elizabeth picked up from Pop Mahn's table.  The left, Skeletor looking pretty awesome upon a throne of skulls.  On the right, we have Batman & Martian Manhunter duking it out with a White Martian.



Next up, just a cool looking print from Angela McKendrick.  Not sure if she is a local (local being Virginia) artist or not, as Dave and I also saw her up in Richmond and I picked up a few mini-prints from her there.  You can find her on DeviantArt here.


 Last print belongs to Elizabeth, one she picked up from artist Matt Slay.  Leonardo is her turtle, and she really liked this print.  Slay was super cool and personable.  Dave and I both got commissions from him, and Dave also picked up a few prints, including a pretty awesome looking Raphael that he had done for a signing with Sean Astin.  You can check out his DeviantArt page here.


This was the commission I had done by Matt Slay.  While talking with him, he mentioned he was doing a variant cover for the upcoming IDW cross-over The Real Ghostbusters/TMNT.  So when it came around for me to decide on a character to get done, I went with Egon Spengler.  Love how it turned out.  Dave had a Casey Jones done, which was also very impressive.


These are all mini original pieces of art both Elizabeth & I picked up from the talented Lee Lacy.  He had a lot of movie/tv characters to choose from, and I will admit it was hard to choose.  I was going to try and stick with a horror character theme by choosing The Cryptkeeper and The Tall Man (from Phantasm), but found it hard to pass up one of my movie mentors, Mr. Miyagi.  Elizabeth ended up picking up the trio of bumbling burglars Fester, Marcus, & Hammer from 3 Ninjas, one of her movies.  Lee was actually surprised someone knew the trio, and was happy to see his choice appreciated.  I will most definitely keep an eye out for him at future cons.


Lastly is the pre-con commission I had done by the talented Eryk Donavan.  Dave had a Judge Dredd done by him when we were at Wizard World, which turned out awesome.  I learned he was a local talent, so I contacted him if he was going to be at Tidewater, and then asked for Michael Myers from Halloween.  I love how it turned, and I'm already planning for future horror icon commissions from him at any future cons I see him at.  Check out his work by going to his website here.



Tidewater Comicon is already planning a Spring 2015 show.  It will be a 2-day event, May 16-17.  I am already looking forward to it, and to seeing the local show continue to grow.

No comments: