Thursday, October 09, 2014

4) Dead Heat (1988)

Dead Heat (1988)

Directed by Mark Goldblatt

Starring Treat Williams, Joe Piscopo, Lindsay Frost

I'm not going to write a plot synopsis for this one, as I don't even know where to start.   Basically, there are detectives Roger Mortis (Williams) and his partner Doug (Piscopo) stumble into a case where resurrected criminals (being resurrected makes you indestructable) are used.  Chaos ensues, Roger ends up dead, and then he is resurrected and tries to solve the case before his body breaks down.

I had to ask myself while watching this how was it I had never seen it before.  I loved this movie!  I don't even know where to begin.  Besides Treat Williams (who also starts in another favorite film of mine, Deep Rising), this movie also has Keye Luke, Professor Tanaka, Robert Picardo, Darren McGavin, and VINCENT PRICE in supporting roles.  Price is one of my all-time favorites, and somehow this movie slipped passed my radar.

I went into this movie blind, and I'm glad I did, as it made my movie experience that much better, I believe.  Besides the crazy plot, the make-up and effects in this movie are great!  There is a sequence where Roger & Doug are at a Chinese restaurant and the animals are resurrected.  They battle chickens, a pig, and finally a headless cow from the freezer.  Roger progresses nicely throughout the film, as he starts to get closer to his end, as well as the damage inflicted upon him.  There is also a great scene involving the decomposition of a person.

I enjoyed Dead Heat a lot more than I expected, for knowing next to nothing about it.  I highly recommend it.  It is a great blend of horror, action, and comedy.  10/10

No comments: