Tuesday, October 14, 2014

5) Q, The Winged Serpent

Q, The Winged Serpent (1982)

Directed by Larry Cohen

Starring Michael Moriarty, David Carradine, Richard Roundtree

Detective Shepard (Carradine) and Sgt. Powell (Roundtree) are investigating a series of brutal ritualistic murders.  Career criminal Jimmy Quinn (Moirarty) stumbles into an ancient creature's lair after a jewelry heist goes awry.  Does the creatures presence tie into the case Shepard and Powell are working on?  After being caught for the heist, Quinn decides to try and exhort the city for some money and exoneration for information leading to the lair of the beast.

This is a new acquisition from Scream Factory that I recently found online for a low price.  I had seen the movie before and have been wanting to add it to my collection.  It's a decent '80s horror, which is worth seeing for the monster alone.  I didn't recall a whole lot of the movie from my first viewing, so I really wasn't sure what to expect.

The acting is ok, and you can tell the movie was low budget, but that doesn't really hurt the film any.  Q (short for the Aztec god Quetzalcoatl) is done in stop motion, and is worth seeing the film for.  Moriarty gives the best performance.  The film does tend to drag at parts, and I found myself on the computer more than usual while watching, but overall I still enjoyed the movie.

6/10, with a little extra for Q.

No comments: