Wednesday, May 29, 2013

05-29-2013

Not much going on outside of the norm.  I've been working, and Elizabeth and I had a good weekend off together.  Saturday we went to the movies with Dave, and then had dinner over at a friends house.  They grilled steaks, which were delicious!  I'm going over to Dave's shortly, to catch up on movies. But I wanted to write for a bit before I get myself backlogged.

Before I get into the movie reviews, I've noticed that when I watch the special features on a movie, I tend to appreciate the movie a little more afterwards.  I guess its because getting to see how it was done, and the love and effort that was put into it, it's hard not to appreciate.  Over the weekend, I watched most of the features that were on the Scream Factory BR of Phantasm II, and then I went back and watched what was on the Phantasm DVD release I have.  Very interesting stuff, and it just made me like the movies more.

So, what have I viewed recently?

78) Furious 6 - AKA Fast & Furious 6.  Furious 6 is what the opening title states, and that is why I'm using it here.  It's funny, a franchise over a decade old, and 6 movies in, but this is a franchise that I find keeps getting better & better with each film.  I love that is ties into previous films, and even ties in Tokyo Drift nicely, with the character of Han.  Some great actions sequences, and a post-credit teaser that I can not wait to see unfold.  I really do hope that FF7 happens for next summer.  Not a work of art, and it probably won't win any awards, but that's not why I watch movies like this.  It's so I can just sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride.

79) The Last Stand - Schwarzenegger returns to the screen, his first starring role post-Governor, and surprisingly, it's not that bad of a film.  It was a little predictable, but overall I enjoyed it.  Had some people I didn't realize were in it (Forest Whitaker and Peter Stormare), and some good action scenes, including a cool shoot-out and a car chase through a corn field.

80) Prison - My newest acquisition from the Scream Factory catalog, and it didn't disappoint.  A creepy little horror film from the late '80s that didn't really get to see the light of day because of studio problems.  Starring Viggo Mortensen and Lane Smith (who does a fabulous job as Warden Sharpe).  The deaths are creative, and the atmosphere is perfect, which is probably due to them filming in an actual prison.  The extras are nice on the BR, which a pretty good making of documentary.

No comments: