Monday, June 03, 2013

06/03/2013

This past weekend was great.  Elizabeth and I had company in town with Roc, so the 3 of us hung out Thursday night playing Life.  Friday night Brandi joined us for pizza and another round of Life, and Dave made an appearance.  And after the 2 of them left, the 3 of us played some intense rounds of Hoopla.

Saturday was movie marathon day at TOS.  We did a "Ben Stiller" theme, which included 4 movies: Heavyweights, Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story, Zoolander, and Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy. Yes, I know: Stiller only has a brief cameo in Anchorman. But Raj and Eliz made the movie choices, and I think it's one they quote a lot and wanted to watched together.

After the movie marathon, Eliz and I walked around the Pirate festival that was going on in Hampton this weekend.  It was lots of fun, even though we didn't buy anything.  Neither one of us was hungry enough for the food, and we didn't see anything souvenir wise that was worth it.  We did get to see a cool game though called "Water War", where two people/groups launch water balloons at each other to see who can get the wettest.

Yesterday was a wonderful day at church, as we played Jeopardy in Sunday School class for end of the quarter, and then there was a luau in Children's Church for end of the year.  It was lots of fun, and I look forward to seeing how the children's program moves forward in the fall.

And to top the weekend off, Elizabeth and I had a date night in last night, catching up on some comics and then watching a movie.  We finally finished up Geoff Johns Green Lantern run.  I can't believe it's been 9 years.  Part of me doesn't even want to continue with the GL books, since it ended so perfectly, and it will be a hard run to follow.

So, a couple movies to cover.  I won't cover all 4 movies from the marathon, but I do want to cover one of them. :)

83) Heavyweights - I had forgotten how good this movie was!  I'm pretty sure I've only seen it a handful of times since seeing it in the theater in '94, so it wasn't ingrained into my brain unlike other films.  First off, it's probably one of the first films Judd Apatow worked on (he was writer/executive producer).  Then, Ben Stiller is great as villain Tony Perkis.  A lot of humor and warmth, and quotable, and made evident by Elizabeth.  I currently own a Full Screen DVD (one of the few that I do allow in my collection), but a Blu-Ray was released in Dec '12, which I will be upgrading to eventually.  Not just for the Widescreen transfer, but because it is also loaded with extras, which the DVD has none of.

87) Up - Why why why did I wait 4 years to see this movie?  This was the selection Elizabeth made for date night last night, and man is it great!  First off, it takes a lot for me to cry during a film.  Not get emotional, but to actually shed a tear is work.  But this one had me crying within the first 10 minutes of it, and the thing is: I knew what was coming!  I had actually watched the opening of the movie online, knowing what kind of story Disney/Pixar was able to pull off in a span of 5 minutes.  But the movie itself is just wonderful.  Great characters, beautiful landscapes, and just a wonderful story.  Easily one of my top 5 Pixar films.

88) First Blood - I remember catching Rambo movies on TV when I was younger (probably on the USA network), but it must of been mostly the 2 sequels, because I watched First Blood last night, and realized I had never seen any of it.  A good early '80s action flick.  The scene where Rambo takes the cops out in the forest was easily my favorite part, and the interaction between Rambo and Col. Trautman.  I look forward to  seeing the sequels with the eyes of film love I've acquired since my childhood.   

This was a pretty good catch-up.  I'm back to mostly mid-shifts this month at work, so I will probably continue to watch movies during my down time.  I am back into reading regularly as well though.


No comments: