Tuesday, September 30, 2014

September in Review

To keep the blog active, and to continue to write (even when the desire is not there), I decided I would look at my movie stats at the end of each month, and compile a post regarding what I watched.

September had 14 movies watched, a bit low, but between Elizabeth & myself watching 4 seasons of Rizzoli & Isles and then me catching up with Season 2 of Hannibal, I'm happy with my viewing history.

A lot of good things were watched, starting off with a theatrical viewing of one of my all-time favorite films, Ghostbusters.  I love this movie.  Easily in my top 5 favorite films, and if asked on the right day, might even be my #1.  I've loved this movie since childhood.  When my parents bought me a DVD player for Christmas back in 1999, they included 4 movies. Ghostbusters, Ghostbusters 2, Jurassic Park, & The Lost World: Jurassic Park.  They know me quite well.

Two great franchise documentaries were also watched in September.  I finally made my way through both A Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th, so I was able to view Never Sleep Again and Crystal Lake Memories.  I loved both of them, but I feel like Never Sleep Again was just a tad bit better.  Probably due to it being the shorter of the two documentaries (4 hours compared to 6), and it flew by when I viewed it.

As I wrote in my last entry, I was able to introduce Elizabeth to the awesomeness of Bill & Ted over the weekend.  Two more movies from my childhood, and and it had been a while since watching them.  I'll probably be upgrading Excellent to Blu-Ray in the future, especially if I can find it at a decent price.

Of course, with the good comes the bad.  But, bad doesn't always mean horrible.  I am a huge fan of "so bad it's good" cinema, and more than one movie I watched in September fits that genre.  Dave and I had a mini-marathon of movies earlier in the month, in which we introduced ourselves to a film entitled Samurai Cop.  I can't even begin to describe the awesomeness/awfulness of this movie.  In retaliation, I then introduced Dave to a little film entitled Ninja III: The Domination, which I had watched for the first time only a week prior.  Both films are quite entertaining & fun to watch.  Samurai Cop has a Kickstarter going for it's sequel, and Dave backed it, so sometime next year we will be experiencing that.

Finally, there is the ugly.  Thankfully, I do not watch a lot of movies that fall into this category.  Which means I won't always have an entry.  But September does have a qualifier: Jason X.  See, in preparation for Crystal Lake Memories, I sat through the whole franchise of Friday the 13th.  And as much as I love Jason, Jason X was a tough film to get through.  Mainly due to the acting, as the movie makers actually made the plot doable.  I will admit this entry in the franchise does have one of my favorite kills, the cryogenic face smash.  Watching the documentary did improve my thoughts regarding it, but it is still the worst movie I watched in September.

I didn't cover all 14 films, so if you are curious to see all that I watched, please check out my pinterest page.  Hopefully I will make this a monthly feature to the blog, and get better at my writing in the process.


No comments: