Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Thrifting over Labor Day Weekend 2014

I'm feeling refreshed & renewed, and once again I'm back to this blog.  Can't promise I'm going to stay with it for long, but we shall see.  The writing bug has struck, and I'm just going to let it do it's thing for now.

So, my parents visited over the holiday weekend, and we did the thing we normally do when they visit, which is hit the local thrift stores.  We stuck to our side of the water, and for not having anything particular to look for on this trip, I came away happy with my haul.

A nice assortment of items

As you can tell from the above picture, I mainly purchase books when thrifting.  I read a wide assortment of genres and authors.  So, let's break this picture down a bit.

Sorry for the bit of blurriness

First off, that pile of books in the background?  My collection of wresting biographies.  Hence, the Ted Dibiase book in the front.  I don't currently watch wrestling, but I do enjoy reading the biographies of the people in the business.  I still consider Mick Foley's Have A Nice Day! one of the best books I've ever read.  I actually own two Dibiase bios: the one pictured (published by WWE in 2007) and another one he wrote in 1997.  Also pictured: a Hawaiian style collection of Mother Goose rhymes that my dad found for us, and Inside Delta Force, a book I was interested in from my Borders days, as I was a fan of the TV Show The Unit

Filling in some gaps

I've recently started trying to fill in the holes of my R.L. Stine collection (mainly the Fear Street and YA books from my childhood), and this weekend garnered 3 new additions.  The super chiller pictured is one of my favorite finds this weekend, as I now have the complete Cheerleaders Fear Street saga, easily my favorite story-line from the Fear Street line.  I was unaware that the Babysitter series went up to IV, and I picked up The Babysitter 2 mainly because I was unsure if I had it or not, and liked the re-release cover.  Also found How To Solve A Murder, which I thought was a cool book and might come in handy for if and when I do get back to writing a novel.  It will be a good resource.

New Fiction & my favorite find

Out of the genres I read, I think mystery/thriller is my favorite.  Horror is a close second.  When the two combine in one book, it's a guarantee that I will love it.  The Relic is one of my favorite books, and I found an ARC of it.  For those not in the know, ARC stands for "Advance Readers Copy", and publishers send them out before a books release.  At first, I thought this was a just a paperback copy, but I decided to look at it anyways as it was in really good condition. 

Also purchased this weekend, a Rizzoli & Isles book that I'm pretty sure we don't own, and a Greg Rucka novel I don't own.  Elizabeth & I have been catching up on Rizzoli & Isles on DVD, as I got the DVDs for her as part her anniversary gift, and we both have been compelled to read (or re-read, in Elizabeth's case) the books.  And Rucka is one of my favorite comic book authors, and the fiction I've read of his has been great.  So I am always happy to add new fiction by him to my collection.

MTIs & True Crime

Seriously, how could I pass up a book on the making of Space Jam, the greatest movie of all-time starring an NBA star and an animated rabbit?  Another thing I collect are Movie tie-ins, and you can see the two newest additions to that collection above. Terminator 2 came with an added bonus, as the next picture will show. I also picked up a true crime book that sounds interesting, and have a tie-in cover to the HBO movie.  I think my recent binge on Criminal Minds is one reason I decided to pick it up.

Added Bonus

Alright, so it's not too exciting, but come on!  An original 1991 receipt from WaldenBooks found within the pages of Terminator 2.  I asked a friend who was able to decipher that this book was purchased from the Greenbriar mall location.


Well, this was fun.  I'm hoping to actually try and do some stuff like this more often, but we shall see.  At lease I will try to keep this blog alive, for now.  Or, this could be the last update for the next few months. Who knows.




No comments: