Friday, January 13, 2012

Happy Friday the 13th!

Yesterday I watched Daybreakers starring Ethan Hawke, Willem Dafoe, and Sam Neill.  I surprisingly enjoyed it.  I remember reading about it in HorrorHound, but never heard much about it after it came out.

I think part of the reason I enjoyed it was that it took the vampire concept but did something differently with it.  The world has become overtaken by an epidemic, and humans are almost extinct.  Blood is a commodity that is getting scarcer by the day, and Sam Neill plays the the head of a corporation that is trying to create a substitute.  Ethan Hawke is the head of the team trying to create this substitute.  For the vampires that aren't drinking human blood, they are beginning to mutate.  Hence, finding a substitute is such a big deal.  Hawke runs into a group of humans, who are lead by Elvis, a former vampire who had an accident and was made alive again.  He joins their team, and is able to replicate the accident for himself, as an attempt to find a cure.

I thought the acting was good, and like I said, I enjoyed the fact that something different was done with the vampire mythology.  The ending was kind of brutal, and once again, I feel like the ending was also left open for a potential sequel.

Vampires are another thing I seem to have been into recently.  With the watching of this and Priest, and the desire to finally watch 30 Days of Night, which I'm hoping to get from the library soon.  But my all-time favorite vampire movie will always be the '80s classic The Lost Boys. :)

No comments: