Thursday, January 19, 2012

The New 52

So, I haven't talked much about the changes DC started 5 months ago.  DC decided to relaunch their universe in some fashion.  They re-imagined some characters (the Superman family, for instance), brought new characters into the DCU (Grifter from WildStorm, Swamp Thing from Vertigo), and some characters they just left alone (Green Lantern is the best example).  They tried simplifying the timeline, and some comics (JLA, Superman) are taking place 5 years ago, at the beginning of this new 52.

I don't have any big complaints about it.  I've never been one to complain as long as the story is good.  I quit collecting the Superman titles, mainly because they re-imagined him the most.  They wiped out the marriage of Lois and Clark, and both Martha and Jonathan are dead.  Dave has been getting Action Comics and Supergirl, and I've been reading them that way.  They've been ok, but I'm kind of glad I'm not collecting them.

The Batman books have been great.  Scott Snyder's Batman is my favorite book out of the new 52, and it doesn't disappoint.  It's been revolving around the Court of Owls, a Gotham urban legend that has been around since Gotham was being built.  But it seems there is more to the legend than even Bruce knows.  This week's issue was amazing, and I look forward to the upcoming event that will explain more of the Courts back story.  Another book I look forward to monthly is Nightwing.  Dick Grayson has always been my favorite sidekick, and I love that he is in his own book again.

JLA has been pretty solid, as well as Green Lantern and Aquaman.  But with Geoff Johns at the helm of all three, it would be hard to disappoint.

Off to work I go.  I guess I'll follow this up sometime soon in the future!

No comments: